Ray Family

Ray Family

Saturday, January 14, 2012

School (again)

I know, I know. I've been on a writing binge the past couple days. There is so much I have to write about, and I still haven't even started my Christmas day blog. I love writing; I always have and probably always will. I have never been one to be short on words, so this helps me get it all out without driving Barry or my friends totally crazy :) If you are reading this, apparently you don't mind my long posts ;)

So school...

It seems like I have been going forever. Well, really I have. College has been off and on since 1995, mostly off until 2008. My first college class as an adult was in the Summer of 2008. I have changed my plans on what degree to obtain about four times since then. After talking to my academic advisor yesterday and deciding which classes to take next, I evaluated my degree plan and realized I AM ALMOST DONE!!! That gave me a huge boost to keep going.

I love learning, but sometimes I really hate school. It takes time away from my family, and as much as I want to reach my lifelong goal, I think sometimes, "Why am I doing this? I most likely will never use it." I often want to quit just because it is such a pain sometimes. Then I remind myself that it is a privilege to be able to go at all, and it will be a huge accomplishment when I am finished. And I may have to fall back on it someday, so I'm setting myself up for success if that happens.

Since 2008, my degree plans have gone from Nursing to Psychology to CJ w/emphasis in Forensic Psychology to CJ w/emphasis in CSI, and now just Criminal Justice with no emphasis. The last one was a computer error when they revamped the degree plan online and they left off my emphasis. However, I am leaving it alone because I really don't want to take some of the classes that were required for CSI; I just hadn't changed it because there had already been too many changes.

Now I am planning out the next year. I only have 10 classes left, and I should be graduating in April 2013 if I take 1-2 classes per term like I have been. It is surreal to be saying that. I only have two major requirements left and the rest are electives. The classes are really hard sometimes, and online learning is NOT the easy way out like some people think. I've done both traditional and online, and there are times when online is much harder. Not the physical part of getting to and from school, finding parking spaces, finding child care, etc. But the learning part can be tough. There is a lot required, and because the terms are only 10 weeks we are packing a lot of material into a shorter amount of time. I don't consider it cramming, but it can put a toll on the study times and workloads for sure.

I am SO BLESSED to have a husband who supports me in school. He helps with the kids when I need to get away and lock my door. He doesn't complain and is so encouraging. And in the end, he'll be paying for it when the student loans kick in, so I better be grateful :) When I have been at my low moments and wanting to quit, he keeps me going and tells me it will all be worth it someday. And other things like, "You've come this far. Quitting now will make all that hard work worth nothing." It's true. Thank you, Barry!

2 comments:

amy garcia said...

Go Girl...You are amazing! A busy mommy and wife and then this too. Goodluck. In your spare time:) we need to hangout!

emmyray said...

Keep at it and you will always know that you have it and you worked hard for it and you earned it! Years ago education was not possible this way and too many wives and mommies were told it was hopeless and they could never get a degree. I am incredibly proud of what you are doing!