Ray Family

Ray Family

Friday, January 13, 2012

Walker? Jogger? Runner?

I am by no means a fast runner. I ran a 12 min mile in high school and that was pushing it. I hated running. With a passion.

After I turned 30, I got a wild hair to run a half marathon. Me. Yup, crazy. This was right after Chloe was born in 2007, and then of course we had Annie in 2009. Finally, in March 2010, I started training for my first half marathon. When I started, I was lucky to jog/walk a mile in 17-18 minutes. By July 2010, I was running up to 7 miles (non...stop!) and could run a 12 min mile again! I felt great! Only two months until my half.

Then I fell down my stairs. My wooden stairs. Go ahead and laugh, but I bruised my tailbone so badly that my chiropractor said to rest for 3-4 weeks. Do you know what that does to a trainer's schedule? That was equivalent to about 60 miles. It was catastrophic. I could have picked up and taken it slow. I could have walk/jogged my half marathon instead of running the whole thing. But you know what I did?

I gave up. I didn't go. I didn't even try. I stopped running. I stopped walking. I gained weight (a lot). I was hard on myself, down and depressed. But I had excuses! I hurt myself. I was going to be traveling for the summer. Blah, blah, blah.

In December 2011 (right before Christmas) I had had it. Forget this mess! Get up and do something about it! Quit whining!

My first walk/jog in December was 16 minutes. Yesterday, my run/super fast walk mile was 14 minutes. Already. In less than a month. That is hecka cool. Think I can cut off another 2 minutes? You betcha! And more? I'll try! Training for a half marathon again? Some day. Sore today? You know it!

Go out there and capture your dreams!!

No comments: